blog borderline femme - women on the verge: Movies: BRILLIANT! (In my best Guinness voice)

borderline femme - women on the verge

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Movies: BRILLIANT! (In my best Guinness voice)

This weekend I took a stand. My significant other was intent on sitting through another video game adaptation/horror film, and I was intent on keeping my dignity. Luckily for both of us, Silent Hill and Thank You for Smoking were playing at the same time. I have to admit that sitting solo in a movie theater is quite liberating. The only downside is that afterwards there's nothing to talk about, unless both parties want to give half-ass summaries of the film they just sat through--which I really didn't feel like doing.


Thank You for Smoking, a satire centered around a tobacco lobbyist, was nothing less than brilliant, and the fact that I was saved from having to watch Silent F-ing Hill made it that much more enjoyable. It's hilarious, smart, and extremely well cast. Director Jason Reitman does a great job presenting the story with style. In fact, the film is so clever that any attempt I could make at describing it would only serve to emphasize my inferior wit.

My only very small and somewhat irrelevant complaint has to do with Katie, er-excuse me, Kate being-held-hostage-by-aliens Holmes. My problem is that the movie keeps referring to her character's "spectacular tits." First of all, spectacular they are not. Secondly, you wouldn't know one way or the other from watching the film because her character is always completely covered in high-collared shirts. It just struck me as odd that an entire scene would be dedicated to discussing her rack, but during the few moments she is on screen the audience doesn't even get so much as cleavage. Plus, her sex scene was very disappointing to say the least. Granted, this is coming from someone who has despised droopy-face-Holmes since the days of Dawson's Creek-- but honestly this film was her chance to redeem herself. I do have a bit of sympathy for the girl now that she is being held captive by a madman.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home