blog borderline femme - women on the verge: Movies: Notorious

borderline femme - women on the verge

Monday, May 08, 2006

Movies: Notorious


The Notorious Bettie Page

One word for this movie: CUTE! I loved the soundtrack and the authentic 50's look. Gretchen Mol is absolutely gorgeous, and I thought she did a great job in this role -- particularly in the scenes where Bettie took acting lessons and she basically had to pretend to be a bad actress. During the photo shoots Mol really seemed to channel Page's energy.

While it was visually appealing and fun to watch, overall I felt the movie left many lingering questions about this elusive icon. One thing that bothered me was that the movie did not make a connection between Bettie's history of sexual abuse and her nonchalant attitude towards posing nude. Maybe that's because she felt one had nothing to do with the other-- but if that's the case then I don't understand why the director chose to highlight Bettie's possible subjection to child molestation and a pretty horrible gang rape.

I don't want to over-analyze the film because for the most part I enjoyed it very much. But it did leave me wanting more. Most Bettie Page fans already know about her life up until the Senate investigation, and yet that is where the movie ends. I still want to know what the heck happened to Bettie Page!! Her story has the potential to be a much more complex and intriguing film.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:37 AM, Blogger Mike Overall said…

    I'm only 31 but I always thought Bettie page was smokin'! I love that pic of Gretchen Mol too...mirror image almost!

    Check my site out sometime if ya like.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home