blog borderline femme - women on the verge: Movies: Munich, Game 6, X-Men 3, Shopgirl, Rumor Has It, Something New

borderline femme - women on the verge

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Movies: Munich, Game 6, X-Men 3, Shopgirl, Rumor Has It, Something New

Munich
Depressing, but good. I don't really see the need to ever watch it again, but it did shed a lot of light on the ongoing hatred between Jews and the Middle East.

Game 6
(The one with Michael Keaton about the Red Sox curse)
Ok, it started out REALLLY boring. But in the end it slightly redeemed itself. Overall, it was a very weird movie that made Boston look a bit scary and gross...and since I'm moving there soon it freaked me out a little. But, then again the movie was set in 1986. Also, Robert Downey Jr. is a total freak in this movie; it's almost worth watching just for his character.

X-Men: The Last Stand
I liked it way better than X-Men 2. My favorite was tranny mutant (the one who gave out shockwaves-- he reminded me of Ricky from My So-Called Life). But I still think this series tries to pack too many characters into too short a time frame. Why was the movie so dang short? Why is Cyclops such a whinny bitch? And what the hell is so special about Jean Gray that all these men are gaga over her to the point of having their skin ripped off? I feel that Rogue should have played a larger role and they need to bring Gambit into the picture. I hope this isn't the end of the X-men movies. Most of the characters are still so young-- hopefully it will continue.

Shopgirl
Beautiful, funny, moving, and insightful. I was impressed by Steve Martin's adaptation of his novella. I only wish that I had read it before seeing the movie.

Rumor Has It...
A complete waste of my time. Blasphemous to true fans of The Graduate. On a side note, RIP Anne Bancroft.

Something New
Hilarious and soooo cute! Deals with what interracial couples have to face in an honest and realistic way-- more so than I've ever seen in a movie. And yet it isn't too heavy in tone; it's still a romantic comedy, but it's smart and touching rather than superficial.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:14 AM, Blogger RC said…

    i liked shopgirl book far better than the movie...

    and x-men III was fun, i liked x-II better though...obviously we disagree there.

    agree w/ you on Munich, totally a one time movie...

    I haven't and do not want to see Rumor has it! no way.

    --RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home